Sometimes We are Vegan.

I have an unusual obsession with food documentaries and the food industry. I really hate the food industry. The amount of hatred I feel towards them is bizarre.

I watched this horrible video and cried when I saw how the animals were treated. Now... I am really not an animal lover at all. If you know me, you probably have noticed I never call dogs by their "name" and I most certainly do not touch them.

That being said, I really feel that I can't help sustain an industry that treats gods creations so awfully. (Lately I even feel conflicted killing spiders that I find in my apartment.... yes I know I am weird)

Dan and I decided that from that point forward we wouldn't buy items that support the meat/dairy industry.

When we ran out of eggs, we realized how hard this new life style would be. Organic eggs from free range chickens cost twice the amount of the eggs from chickens who are in cages their entire life. Ugh. I really wanted a my own coop of chickens by then.

So our next option was to be mostly vegan. We already don't buy meat so how much harder could it be? Well actually it's kind of A LOT harder.

I started making almond milk (it's actually a trillion times better than nasty store bought almond milk) and buying organic soy milk. (Milk is like in every single recipe there is out there)

One night we were really craving a chocolate cake. Unfortunately making a big cake would cost a TON of money because we cut processed refined sugar out of our lives too. And real maple syrup and raw sugar are not cheap people!

So I tweaked a recipe and made ourselves a baby cake.



It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And also very easy to devour completely


Also... It's healthy. No really. It is. I used 100% whole wheat flour that I ground myself. (NERD)
There is no processed sugar in here folks. Just straight up goodness. 

The best part? It's quick. You do it in your microwave. oh my YUM!

  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp raw sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 heaping tablespoons coconut oil
  • 3 tablespoons milk (almond or soy)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Mix the dry ingredients in a mug and then add the wet ones. Pop it in the microwave for a little over a minute and then BAM! you have yourself a delicious and nutritious dessert.

Oh and also here is the frosting

  • 1/4 cup home made almond butter (peanut butter would work too)
  • 6 tsp pure maple syrup 
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 4 tsp of almond or soy milk (or more for thinner frosting)
  • 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: handful of chocolate chips 
Put this in a bowl and stir it up! It will make enough for two chocolate baby cakes. Oh and you can even give it to your baby because it has nothing processed in it! 

Oh and here is my baby elephant



The ward party kind of wore her out


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dog (commonly reffered to as Angel)

The day I had a baby

Levitation